In the era of digital transformation, governments around the world are embracing technology to streamline processes and enhance transparency.
The Government e-marketplace (GEM) portal is a prime example of this initiative in India.
GEM serves as a platform that facilitates seamless procurement for government departments and organizations.
Understanding the complete process of seller registration on the GEM Government Portal is crucial for sellers looking to tap into this vast market.
This article aims to provide a step-by-step guide to help prospective sellers easily navigate the registration process.
Step 1: Accessing the GEM Portal
To begin becoming a registered seller on the GEM portal, access the official website by typing Gem.gov.in in your web browser.
The GEM portal’s homepage serves as the gateway to various functionalities, including seller registration.
Step 2: Registration
- Click on the “Sign Up” or “Register” button prominently displayed on the homepage. This will initiate the registration process.
- You’ll have two options: “Seller” and “Buyer-cum-Seller.” Choose the “Seller” option to continue as a seller.
- Fill in the required information, including your organization’s details, such as name, address, and contact information. Ensure that the information provided is accurate and up-to-date.
Step 3: Verification
- After submitting the initial information, your account will undergo a verification process. This may involve validating your organization’s legal status and other relevant documents.
- Once the verification is complete, you will receive a confirmation email with further instructions.
Step 4: Document Submission
- Log in to your GEM seller account using the credentials created during the registration process.
- Navigate to the “Document Upload” section. Here, you’ll be required to upload essential documents, such as the organization’s PAN card, GST registration, bank account details, and any other specific documents requested by GEM.
- Ensure that the uploaded documents are clear, legible, and valid. Any discrepancies could lead to delays in the approval process.
Step 5: Manage Caution Money Account
You have to manage 5000 Indian rupees in your GEM virtual account for future activities and final approval for cataloging.
Sellers who have not paid the Caution money to GeM would not be able to upload new Products/Brands.
Once the Seller pays the Caution Money, the account will get automatically unlocked for new Product/Brand upload. This is applicable to all GeM sellers.
Step 6: Category Selection
- After the document submission, select the categories of products or services your organization intends to offer on the GEM portal.
- The GEM portal provides an extensive list of categories, enabling sellers to align their offerings with government procurement needs.
Step 7: Approval and Cataloguing
- Once your document submission and category selection are complete, your application will undergo a thorough review by the GEM authorities.
- If your application is approved, you will receive an official confirmation. At this stage, you can start cataloging your products or services on the portal.
Step 8: Cataloguing Products/Services
- Log in to your seller account and navigate to the “Catalog” section.
- Provide detailed information about your products or services, including descriptions, images, prices, and any other relevant specifications.
- Regularly update your catalog to reflect changes in offerings, prices, or stock availability.
Step 9: Price on Demand (POD) services
Now Min and Max quantities are not required to be filled by Service Providers in the rate sheet row for services having POD.
GeM integrates with the India post
Now Sellers can subscribe to India Post services and do online booking of the consignment to be shipped to any pin code in the country.
- Select the option to either arrange for a Pickup or drop off the consignment at the India Post office for up to 10 boxes per Consignment.
- Track the status of the shipments booked under the India Post Dashboard via the generated tracking ID.
- Cancellation provision for the already booked consignment is made possible at the click of a button.
Becoming a registered seller on the GEM Government Portal offers numerous opportunities for organizations to participate in government procurement and expand their reach.
By following the step-by-step process outlined in this guide, prospective sellers can navigate the complexities of registration and cataloging with confidence.
The GEM portal not only simplifies the procurement process for government departments but also empowers sellers to access a vast market that can catalyze business growth.